Our stories - Jade's story

Jade's story

Jade on the South Bank
I was once, many moons ago, a really driven runner and would run a few times a week, 8 to 10 km. I didn’t like to go out alone at night, so I turned my attention to my local gym, fell in love with boxing and running fell to the wayside.

I tried starting a local women’s running group in my area, so women who worked full time or had children to look after could come out, either at night or early mornings and feel safe in the darker winter season. It was with the app, Meet Up.com and I built up a group of about 40 members online... but no-one came. As a woman it’s frightening to go out alone to meet a stranger for a run, so I understood. I was nervous too, who would be coming to meet me? No one it seemed.

Three years ago I got married, and I began to choose hearty dinners and a glass of wine in with my husband over forcing myself to go out and exercise. In my defence, he was a newly qualified doctor and his shift patterns made time together a luxury, so I felt the need to make the most of time we did have.

These days that excuse doesn’t seem so great anymore. Health is important to both of us. We want to live long healthy lives, so I have been trying to change but with no avail. It seems laziness is a hard habit to break.

I have tried and failed at getting back into running countless times to no avail. Embarking on the 100 days of running challenge somehow seemed like a good way to kick start my enthusiasm.

Starting from scratch and 10 kilos heavier than my former running self will be hard, but I’m feeling uncharacteristically positive thanks to the support of Lou, Lydia and Zoe, (the perkiest people I know) and the knowledge that this is a great cause. Who needs a group of 40 strangers to run with?!

The charity we are supporting is important to me. FGM came on my radar after listening to ‘the Guilty Feminist’ podcast one morning and there was an episode that highlighted how prevalent FGM is and discussed the lack of psychological support there is for victims. The more I learnt, the more I wanted to do something to help and empower women. When I arrived at work I ranted solidly at Lou until she came up with the idea of doing the challenge for an FGM charity… and here we are, running for FORWARD.

Please donate to the cause through our Just Giving page here.

                                                                                               

Follow Jade’s challenge here:

Instagram: @jdlacey182
#100daysofrunningforward

Comments