Our stories - Lydia's story

Lydia's Story


Lydia at Stratford Olympic Park
(copyright @floralyd_reggie)
I usually run two or three times a week with some of the '100 runs' team. So running seven days a week for over 14 weeks is going to be quite a step up. I'm hoping to learn some things about myself and to really teach myself true discipline and dedication.

On the running side of things, I suffered an injury to my ACL on my left knee in September 2016 and have been recovering ever since. I've been upping my running since June and completed my first 10 km race (since my ACL injury) earlier this month. In part, I'm looking forward to seeing how my body copes with running each day for such an extended period, but I'm kind of dreading some of the inevitably dark, freezing morning runs.

I'm doing this for FORWARD because I want a level playing field for all women everywhere. I attended an all girls' school growing up and it's made me very passionate about encouraging girls to be ambitious and independent. FGM happens in so many countries and in communities in our very city and is unacceptable. Child marriage takes away girls' futures, education and independence. I had a wonderful childhood, and a long one. Everyone should have the right to a childhood, feel safe from violence and be able to make their own choice about the course their life should take. It's that belief that will keep me going.

Please click here to sponsor me in my challenge if you are able to.

Follow Lydia's story here:

Instagram: @floralyd_reggie
#100daysofrunningforward


You can donate to our cause by visiting our fundraising page here.

Comments